Foreign citizens who want to take classes or engage in other educational activities, such as training or research, in Spain for a period of more than 90 days may request a student visa at the Spanish Consulate in their country of origin.

To apply for a student visa, you will need a letter of admission from the educational institution where your classes will be held, health insurance that covers the duration of your studies in Spain, proof of means for supporting yourself throughout the period of study and proof of adequate accommodations.

If the classes or research is going to last more than 6 months, you will need further supporting documents certifying your criminal record and a medical examination certificate.

Due to the relative complexity of this type of visa, and the fact that the Spanish government often has a very restrictive view about issuing them, especially to adults, we always recommend an in-depth analysis of your situation prior to applying for a student visa in Spain.